Ever wondered what’s happening at your front door when you’re not home? Maybe you’re expecting a parcel while you are out at work and you wonder if it has arrived. Is it safe at your front door or will someone take it? Or maybe you’ve arrived home to find a note from an old friend you haven’t seen for ages and you wish she had phoned because you were only a few minutes away. And what about that time you had just got the kids in the bath when the doorbell rang? Well, today I have a solution to all those issues – the Ring Video Doorbell.
This post is a review of a product I have been gifted, however, all opinions are my own.
The Ring Video Doorbell
The Ring Video Doorbell, named one of USA Today’s Top 10 Tech Innovations 2015, enables homeowners to keep an eye on and protect their homes from anywhere. The Wi-Fi connected doorbell includes a wide-angle video camera, speaker and microphone, and motion sensors which, when connected to the free Ring app (iOS, Android, OS X and Windows 10) allows you to answer the doorbell from anywhere.
As I mentioned above, the Ring Video Doorbell allows you to answer your door, and see what is happening outside your door, from anywhere. The Ring App will notify you of any movement outside your door or any ringing of the doorbell.
By clicking on the notification you are taken to a video shot of your Ring Video Doorbell, and be clicking on ‘talk’ you can then speak to the person at your door. This convenience can benefit you in a number of ways:
- Tell a courier where to leave a delivery
- Answer the door from anywhere in the house, neighbourhood or country.
- Keep an eye on your home when you are away on holiday
The following videos, taken from the Ring Youtube site, show real footage that Ring Video Doorbell owners have submitted.
Not only is the Ring Video Doorbell extremely convenient, it is the leader in outdoor home security in the UK and US.
- The night vision video and motion sensors will pick up any suspicious strangers lurking outside your front door.
- The Ring Video Doorbell has scared off and identified burglers.
- As part of a six-month programme in conjunction with the Los Angeles Police Department, no burglaries were reported where a Ring Video Doorbell was installed.
But the Ring Video Doorbell can help with more than just home security, it can also help to keep your family secure, and give you peace of mind too.
- Get the kids to ‘check-in’ by ringing the doorbell when they get home from school, even if you are out. You can also train the kids to press the doorbell if there is ever any problems and it would call their parents.
- As well as picking up any movements by strangers, the Ring Video Doorbell would also notify you if your kids were sneaking in or out late at night, or getting any ‘unauthorised’ visits from keen boyfriends!
- See if the babysitter has invited friends round while you are out!
- It can also help to keep your elderly relatives safe too.
My Ring Video Doorbell Review
The Ring Video Doorbell was easy to install. The products comes with clear instructions and all the tools you will need to install the bell at your door (screw-driver and spirit level included). The app also walks you through instructions to connect your phone to the doorbell with WiFi.
I can certainly see a number of advantages for being able to answer the door with your phone. There is the obvious security benefits, but also for a mum it is very convenient. As long as you have your phone with you it will be possible to answer the Ring Video Doorbell while bathing the kids, playing in the backyard, visiting the neighbours or running errands.
I also liked that you could use the Ring Video Doorbell to help keep your children safe. You will know if they have got out of the house or someone is trying to get in. And you can also get the children to use the doorbell to communicate with their parents. So, if they arrive home from school and no-one is there they would be able to contact their parents, or if they were at home with one parent and something was to happen they would be able to use the Ring Video Doorbell to contact the other parent.
Speed – There is quite a delay between motion being detected and notification appearing on my phone.
While writing this review I noticed a courier van pull up into our driveway. I was about to jump up to head to the door when I thought I would test out the doorbell. I watched (between the curtains 🙂 ) as he placed the envelope on the doorstep and walked away. It was just as he walked away that my phone notified me of movement at the door. I had the phone ready in my hand so answered it straight away and saw the video of my front garden, but the man had already walked out of the shot. I guess the Ring Video Doorbell did, at least, give me an indication that someone had been there and I should check my front door. As we don’t use the front door very often I have on occasion found notes at the front door and wondered how long they have been there!
When someone rings the doorbell, however, I did not notice any significant delay when talking to the person at the door.
Apart from that I’ve found the Ring Doorbell to be a great addition to our home. Not only for safety reasons but also for communication within our family and others.